Consulting Utility Forester - Pre-Inspection/Work Planner
Western ECI - Reno, NV , USA
Starting Date :
Location of job:
Reno, NV/ Truckee, CA
Posted By: :
Consulting Utility Forester – Pre-Inspector/Work Planner
We are currently seeking a Consulting Utility Forester– Pre-Inspector/Work Planner to join our team on a seasonal basis with potential for longer term employment. We are looking for energetic professionals who enjoy working outdoors. This position will directly contribute to providing a more reliable electric system while proactively managing forest health for the prevention of wildfire. If you enjoy a fast-paced environment and the challenges of a rewarding profession, consider a career in vegetation management with Western ECI. This role is ideal for entry-level professionals looking to gain experience in the green industry, or for seasoned professionals interested in changing careers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Accurately identify dead and dying trees affected by drought conditions.
- Inspect overhead power lines for proper vegetation clearance.
- Communicate the reasons and benefits of utility vegetation line clearance to property owners
- Notify property owners of line clearance work to be performed.
- Perform pre-inspection in advance of tree-trimming work.
- Document information for utility’s vegetation management program.
- Prepare concise work plans for contracted utility vegetation crews within designated territory at client.
- Handle customer complaints related to the scheduled and/or completed pruning.
- Inspect and assess customer requested for pruning or removals.
- Audit tree contractor's work for compliance with utility's specifications.
- Secure clear rights-of-way for new line and pole construction.
- Assist in storm and emergency situations and other miscellaneous line clearance projects.
- Communicate daily with the utility client, contractors, landowners, and public.
- Perform duties in a manner that will promote and maintain good public relations.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- ISA Certification is preferred
- Must possess tree identification skills and the ability to read maps.
- Must have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, strong problem-solving abilities, the ability to multi-task and an attention to detail
- Must be able to work alone, outdoors in various weather conditions and terrain.
- Must have basic computer skills
- Bachelor’s or Associates degree in Forestry, Environmental Science or related field preferred
- Experience in Forestry, Arboriculture or Horticulture a plus
- Inventory or surveying experience a plus
- Bi-lingual speaking (English and Spanish) is a plus
Physical Demands & Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time. Reasonable accommodations, if available, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Work alone in an outdoor field environment; vehicle and foot patrol of utility power lines; remote locations as well as urban, city environment; physical demands and travel from site to site, including: walking/hiking on various surfaces including flat, dry, wet, slippery, uneven, rough, steep terrain, hills and slopes; exposure to noise, dust, grease, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a field environment; to walk, stand, sit, and operate a motor vehicle for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, run, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; carry, push and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight (5 to 10 lbs.); to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; ability to verbally communicate to exchange information with public; ability to see and hear in normal range with or without correction; operate assigned field equipment, including handheld computer, range finder, fyrake, water backpack, shovel, and traffic cone.
Western Environmental Consultants, Inc. (Western ECI) is a leading provider of vegetation and asset management consulting services to the utility industry. Successful professionals at Western ECI have come from a variety of backgrounds, including: forestry, arboriculture, natural resource management, biology, landscape maintenance, horticulture, nursery management, environmental sciences, geology, agriculture, parks & recreation management, urban forestry, geography, and more. Western ECI offers exciting career opportunities with an excellent compensation package and ongoing growth potential.
Applicants must pass a pre-employment drug test and a criminal background check.
All candidates must possess a valid driver's license and have a good driving record.
Western ECI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. EOE/AA : Minority/Female/ Vets/ Disabled.
Contact InformationJen Leman