Vegetation Program Manager
BC Hydro - Burnaby, BC , Canada
Starting Date :
Location of job:
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Posted By: :
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Vegetation Program Manager
Job Number: BCH-R-1797-191105E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full Time - Permanent
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
The Vegetation Program Manager will focus largely on the Distribution vegetation management program at BC Hydro. The Vegetation Program Manager has day to day oversight and planning of the budget for the annual maintenance program.
The position involves regular communication with field managers in Operations, Program and Contracts Management (PCM) and other business groups across BC Hydro. Serves as a representative for BC Hydro in dealing with external regulatory agencies, First Nations, communities and landowners as a subject matter expert in utility vegetation management.
- Establishes project management, quality assurance and safety practices and processes to ensure the successful and efficient implementation of work programs.
- Participates on technical committees to develop vegetation and pest management standards, policies and practices and to formulate strategies for addressing unique and complex vegetation and pest management issues.
- Participates in benchmarking studies and contributes to the development and enhancement of process improvement strategies.
- Manages and initiates research in industry trends, best practices, emerging innovations, and new technology for the benefit of effective vegetation/pest program management.
- Participates in the preparation of vegetation management plans and budget for Integrated Planning, Line Asset Planning and manages and controls expenditures for the work program.
- As a key member of the Distribution Asset Planning team, participates in determining overall direction and contributes to managerial and operational decision making in meeting strategic objectives.
- Utilizes project management principles in program monitoring and quality assurance to ensure successful and efficient implementation of the vegetation maintenance program.
- Conducts risk/benefit analyses, vegetation studies, field reviews and related assessments; analyzes and evaluates vegetation management work volume and costs in relation to the development of annual and long-range maintenance plans.
- Develops and oversees Corrective Action Plans to address compliance and program audit findings or recommendations.
- Keeps abreast of emerging issues which could have significant impact on the performance or cost of vegetation and pest management projects on the transmission and distribution system and pursues initiatives, techniques or processes which could advance best practices in vegetation asset management.
- Liaises with other corporate groups (e.g. Operations, Properties, Legal, Capital Projects and Infrastructure Development, Generation, Aboriginal Relations, and Environment) as necessary to respond to issues impacting on the vegetation programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline in life sciences, forestry, resource management or equivalent. We would be willing to consider an equivalent combination of education, training and experience in utility vegetation management or arboriculture.
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in vegetation management with six (6) years specific to the management of utility vegetation and pest management or environmental protection programs.
- Must possess a strong background in arboriculture, with experience in utility vegetation management or related field such as municipal parks management (urban forestry).
- A professional Biologist or Forester or eligible for registration as a professional Biologist or Forester would be a strong asset.
- Certified Project Management or Asset Management designation or equivalent project/program management experience is an asset.
- Significant technical knowledge and understanding of vegetation management requirements of an utility.
- Excellent knowledge of vegetation and pest management regulations, standards and processes and new/emerging trends and developments.
- Excellent knowledge of plant identification, riparian and bio-geographical mapping and inventory techniques.
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of business, risk and project management principles and practices.
- Ability to plan, develop and manage work programs of a large number of projects occurring simultaneously, using project management principles and practices.
- Ability to establish a high level of rapport with senior management, provide leadership in determining appropriate courses of action and exert influence in accomplishing objectives.
- Ability to establish strong partner and service provider relationships in working towards a common objective.
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and facilitate the incorporation of new or revised processes into business operations.
- Strong leadership, collaboration, facilitation, planning, and project management skills.
- Strong relations management, negotiation, conflict resolution, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Ability to manage time and resources effectively in order to achieve required results.
- A condition of employment is this role is to maintain your Class 5 Driver's License in good standing.
- Please note this is a Full-Time Regular (FTR) P4 M&P opportunity.
- Please note this role is headquartered in Burnaby at our Edmonds location.
- There will be occasional travel around the province and may include a few overnight stays.
- As part of the selection process, applicants may be required to take a written test/assessment or do a presentation.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by November 25th, 2019.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
Contact InformationMaham Farooqi