Natural Resource Specialist I/II
Arizona Public Service - Flagstaff, AZ , USA
Starting Date :
Location of job:
Posted By: :
Natural Resource Specialist I/II - Flagstaff, AZ Pinnacle West Capital Corp Flagstaff
The Flagstaff Office has an opportunity for a Natural Resource Specialist I or II. As the Natural Resource Specialist, you will assist APS Forestry and Special Program's vegetation management operations to ensure that the department's projects comply with the company's overall goals and objectives and all applicable laws and regulations. You will have frequent communication and negotiations with public land agencies to acquire approvals for vegetation management activities in a compliant, timely and cost-effective manner. Depending on specialty, you may be required to conduct field surveys for threatened, endangered and sensitive plant and animal species and address habitat concerns. You will research threatened, endangered and sensitive species life history and apply applicable mitigations to projects to protect and preserve these species and their habitats. You Will perform in-field inspections concerning the effectiveness of field operations which may include evaluating work performance and the company's compliance with applicable laws, industry standards, environmental regulations involving SHPO, USFWS, USFS, NEPA, FERC, DOT, ANSI, OSHA, Arizona Pest Control Commission requirements, APS safety standards and the APS Vegetation Management Manual. Environmental factors: Subject to work hours outside of a normal work schedule and outdoors during inclement weather situations. Periodically prone to dangers inherent to work sites including exposure to sharp, high-speed rotating equipment, electrical fields, falling and flying debris, difficult terrain, pesticides, and animal, insect, and snake bites. Involves driving throughout the service territory and frequent overnight travel. Additional duties may include evening and weekend duty.
- Natural Resource Specialist I: BS or BA in Archaeology, Biology, Botany, Wildlife, Natural Resource Management, Environment Sciences or related environmental sciences degree with three years of relevant experience.
- Natural Resource Specialist II: BS or BA in Archaeology, Biology, Botany, Wildlife, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science or related environmental sciences degree with five years of documented experience providing similar services for an electric utility.
- Must have adequate academic credentials to satisfy requirements of U.S.D.A. Forest Service to conduct cultural resource and/or biological assessments concerning threatened and endangered species.
- ISA Certified Arborist and Utility Specialist certifications, USFWS Sub-permittee registration and applicable Arizona State Pesticide certification preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Computer experience using ArcGIS, ESRI products, MS Word, and Excel.
- Must have an aptitude for public relations and interpersonal communications and demonstrate a strong commitment to teamwork and environmental stewardship.
- The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong skillset in verbal and written communication, negotiation, and the ability build and maintain strong working relationships.
- Under daily supervision and daily review, responsible for providing input regarding plans and programs which have a significant impact on the performance of the business unit.
- Provide support to overall directives and performance expectations in compliance with the company's Accident Prevention Manual and labor contract.
- Conduct habitat and species-specific field surveys and research, as necessary, to support biological assessments surveys on company rights-of-way to meet agency and federal regulatory requirements pertaining to the Endangered Species Act. Prepare Biological Assessments and Biological Evaluations.
- Oversee and/or conduct cultural resource surveys on company rights-of-way to meet requirements of the State Historic Preservation Office.
- Author biological assessments and archaeological reports in support of the division's work plans and goals.
- Assist in providing technical expertise, instruction and assistance to field personnel.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of environmental and industry regulations and technology through professional reading attendance at seminars and participation in professional organizations.
- Participate in implementation and continuation of the company's FAC-003-4 Reporting and compliance.
- Develop and maintain GIS applications.
- Participate in implementation and continuation of the company's Avian Protection Program.
To complete your application, visit our careers site
Questions may be directed to the hiring supervisor, Erin Creekmur at email@example.com .
Posting closes on 9/7/2020
Contact InformationErin Creekmur