Disaster Response Utility Forester
ECI - Portland, OR , USA
Starting Date :
Location of job:
Greater Portland, OR area
Posted By: :
Disaster Response Utility Forester
We are currently seeking Utility Foresters to join our Storm/Fire Response team to assist with restoration efforts of the Utility network for the wildfires in rural Oregon. This position is project based (6-12 months) but may lead into addition projects and a longer-term position. You would be involved in working on post fire restoration (smoke, dust, difficult terrain) and doing field work planning for projects. Travel may be required depending on the work location. Work schedule requested for the Project is Monday through Saturday, 10-hour days. We are looking for an energetic professional who enjoys working outdoors and values the freedom of working independently. If you enjoy a fast-paced environment and the challenges of a rewarding profession, consider a career in vegetation management with ECI.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform emergency-related response work.
- Identify opportunities for improving safety and immediately report incidents, injuries, unsafe working conditions, unsafe work processes, and potential hazards.
- Abide by ECI’s Code of Safe Practices, Injury and Illness Prevention Program, Wildfire Preparedness and Prevention Plan, and safe driving principles, practices, and policies.
- Safely operate a motor vehicle for travel to assigned work area (locations vary)
- Review records, organize paperwork and prepare maps of circuits to be patrolled and maintain accurate maps and records of patrolled circuits
- Safely patrol energy corridors on foot, accurately identifying vegetation to be pruned, removed, or protected to remain in compliance with Client standards and specifications
- Prescribe International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) recommended directional pruning techniques and clearances for identified vegetation
- Apply tree risk assessment principles and practices to accurately identify vegetation for line clearance mitigation in accordance with Client and Company directives
- Mark vegetation in accordance with Client directives
- Identify landowner rights using handheld computer records, parcel maps, and property searches
- Provide professional customer service, fostering positive Client, community, and agency relations
- Explain the nature, extent and purpose of prescribed work to property owners, organizations, and/or government agencies
- Notify and obtain permission for vegetation clearing and/or tree pruning/removal by establishing contact with private/public landowners and government agencies
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in forestry, natural resources, or related discipline or equivalent work experience preferred.
- 1-10+ years of experience in forestry, arboriculture, horticulture or tree-related green industry preferred. Post fire vegetation inspection experience also preferred
- Ability to safely and independently work in remote areas with limited supervision
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Independent decision making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to accurately read maps and judge spatial distances
- Knowledge or practical experience in tree identification
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to represent ECI and its services in a professional and positive manner
- Knowledge of common computer applications and ability to learn new programs
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- ISA Arborist Certification is a plus
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) is a plus
Physical Demands & Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employee must be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time. Reasonable accommodations, if available, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Work alone in an outdoor field environment; vehicle and foot patrol of utility power lines; remote locations as well as urban, city environment; physical demands and travel from site to site, including: walking/hiking on various surfaces including flat, dry, wet, slippery, uneven, rough, steep terrain, hills and slopes; exposure to noise, dust, grease, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions
The employee must have sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a field environment; to walk up to 10 miles per day, stand, sit, and operate a motor vehicle for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, run, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp and make repetitive hand, arm and shoulder movement in the performance of daily duties (e.g., forcefully beat down brush); carry, push and/or pull light to heavy amounts of weight, frequently lift up to 10 lbs. and occasionally lift up to 60 lbs. (sandbags); to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; ability to verbally communicate to exchange information with public; ability to see and hear in normal range with or without correction; operate assigned field equipment, including handheld computer, range finder, fyrake, water backpack, shovel, and traffic cone.
Environmental Consultants (ECI) is a leading provider of vegetation and asset management consulting services to the utility industry. Successful professionals at ECI have come from a variety of backgrounds, including: forestry, arboriculture, natural resource management, biology, landscape maintenance, horticulture, nursery management, environmental sciences, geology, agriculture, parks & recreation management, urban forestry, geography, and more. ECI offers exciting career opportunities with an excellent compensation package and ongoing growth potential.
Applicants must pass a pre-employment drug test and a criminal background check.
All candidates must possess a valid driver's license and have a good driving record.
ECI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. EOE/AA : Minority/Female/ Vets/ Disabled
Contact InformationJen Leman
12324 Hampton Way
Wake Forest, NC 27587, United States